Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Six decades after the murder of Emmett Till, the cousin who saw him last dies at 74

It's an odd age to be when notable people or icons from your collective memory pass away. It makes their existence, and events, so much more real. Example: We all know the story and photos. I thought of Emmit Till as in a distant place and time. I was impacted greatly but disconnected. Another racist atrocity from before my time. The death of his cousin is shocking to me because it brings the horror of Emmit's murder into my time, my consciousness, timeline. It had seemed like such a distant event until today.
Source:
Six decades after the murder of Emmett Till, the cousin who saw him last dies at 74
http://ift.tt/2x93AAZ
Emmett Till's cousin, who shared a bed with him the night of his murder, died on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment