Friday, June 16, 2017

Italia - Brasile 1982

Thanks Henrik Madsen!!! I-ta-lia! One of my fondest memories of Rome. I was on a late bus in Rome trying to get home, to the countryside. Clueless. (Italy was playing the epic Brazil for the 1982 World Cup - in Spain. In which Italy ultimately prevailed.) EVERYONE in Rome was glued to a tv or radio on the streets, in open second story windows, on the sidewalks, in shops, everywhere. Then suddenly the earth moved: a collective roar, a sea of people streamed out from everywhere screaming and packed the streets full of blissful bodies in swirling motion! People, many in Italian flags as capes and other articles of clothing, dancing in every fountain. The bus could barely move forward. The bus driver left the door open as we stopped or crept down the street so he could talk, celebrate, with people on the sidewalk who strode along the bus. Someone jumped onto the bus with a jug of red wine to share with the driver. Who did drink wine with great cheer and chatter. Magical. And an extremely long bus ride to get out of Rome. Had I not been 18 or 19 years old, broke, and unable to get home, I would have leapt off the bus and joined the party. Rats! I remember that Partini (?) was president of Italy then. A kinda little old man, I recall. I watched a replay on TV. He was at the game in Spain when Italy won the World Cup. He stood up, very straight back and neck, above the audience, smiled and waved to all around him full circle in victory - with a peculiar wave. Hard to describe - like Queen Elizabeth's tight fingered, palm facing back, swirling elbow wave... but his wrist didn't flex. All very poised. Looked like a proud ultimate tell off. It looked hilarious to me. What really happened? I'd have to look, that's all from my memory of about 35 years ago.
Source:
Italia - Brasile 1982
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WhiVp67bWE&feature=share

No comments:

Post a Comment