Thursday, November 23, 2017

Kahok's Fire Dance Class Reunion 1980.AVI

BEHOLD THE GLORY OF OUR MASCOT CHIEF KAHOK. We were talking about school mascots. NOBODY beats Chief Kahok. In Collinsville for home games and school spirit assemblies in our gym, Chief Kahok in loin cloth and full headdress, bells on ankles, would dance. Princess Kahok had a leather fringed tunic, beaded headband with one eagle feather danced too. THEN Chief Kahok removed the headdress and did the fire hoop dance. AWESOME!! It was the only time I didn't try to skip out of an assembly. Loved the fire hoop dance. Can't believe I found a video!!! 1980 was my last year. (I am in the class of '81, but I had enough credits to finish in Dec. 1980 so I baled ASAP. Hated high school, except for my dad who was an epic vice principal there and my sister Renee was a substitute English teacher. And Mark Ceries.) "The school song is performed at halftime of home basketball games. Chief and Princess Kahok provide a traditional Indian dance. Chief Kahok usually performs with a hoop of fire, although there was time in the 1960s when Chief Kahoks battled another Indian during the song using a shield and a tomahawk." ~ Collinsville High School web site
Source:
Kahok's Fire Dance Class Reunion 1980.AVI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5ERglJRt9c
Kahok's Fire Dance Class Reunion of 1980

No comments:

Post a Comment